Community Mural

A partnership between the City of Oshawa and Durham College, the Civic Square community mural project has asked students from the School of Media, Art and Design's Community Collaboration course to develop mural concepts based on aspirations of the community.

146 members of the Oshawa community completed a public survey late last year. Each student developed a concept based on the survey feedback from the community, and from there, three finalists were selected by the City of Oshawa and guest reviewer Linda Jansma, Senior Curator at The Robert McLaughlin Gallery.

The community was then tasked as the creative director again and asked to rank the three finalists in order of their preference. Over 400 community members ranked the three finalists, with 50.5 per cent of the votes indicating Allanah’s mural (A) as their preferred option for installation. Kristen Sali (B) and Maria McGarry (C), the other two finalists, split the remaining 49.5 per cent almost evenly.

The eleven students in the course will bring together their combined skills to install the selected design, chosen by you, in late spring along the retaining wall outside City Hall, along Centre St.

Thank you to the students involved in the project: Allanah Larsen (Mural A designer), Maria McGarry (Mural C designer), Kristen Sali (Mural B designer), Alex Jack Duffy, Stephanie Galanis, Shaun Robinson Gray, Lauren Memrik, Vincent S.F. Neal, Scott Shepel, Kristie Yuill, and Eliza Hanko.


A partnership between the City of Oshawa and Durham College, the Civic Square community mural project has asked students from the School of Media, Art and Design's Community Collaboration course to develop mural concepts based on aspirations of the community.

146 members of the Oshawa community completed a public survey late last year. Each student developed a concept based on the survey feedback from the community, and from there, three finalists were selected by the City of Oshawa and guest reviewer Linda Jansma, Senior Curator at The Robert McLaughlin Gallery.

The community was then tasked as the creative director again and asked to rank the three finalists in order of their preference. Over 400 community members ranked the three finalists, with 50.5 per cent of the votes indicating Allanah’s mural (A) as their preferred option for installation. Kristen Sali (B) and Maria McGarry (C), the other two finalists, split the remaining 49.5 per cent almost evenly.

The eleven students in the course will bring together their combined skills to install the selected design, chosen by you, in late spring along the retaining wall outside City Hall, along Centre St.

Thank you to the students involved in the project: Allanah Larsen (Mural A designer), Maria McGarry (Mural C designer), Kristen Sali (Mural B designer), Alex Jack Duffy, Stephanie Galanis, Shaun Robinson Gray, Lauren Memrik, Vincent S.F. Neal, Scott Shepel, Kristie Yuill, and Eliza Hanko.


  • Ranking has now closed. Thank you for your interest in this project! Be sure to stay tuned, the winner will be announced soon!

    Rank the mural designs and help us choose a winner!

    Rank each of the murals in the order you prefer them, where 1 is your favourite and 3 is your least favourite.

    You will be asked to provide a username and email address - this is not the same as registering; instead, this information will be used to ensure that each person only votes once. Emails provided will not be shared, and you will not be contacted following the completion of this survey by Connect Oshawa. Personal information on this survey is collected pursuant to Section 11 of the Municipal Act, 2001. Questions about this collection should be directed toContinue reading
    Rank each of the murals in the order you prefer them, where 1 is your favourite and 3 is your least favourite.

    You will be asked to provide a username and email address - this is not the same as registering; instead, this information will be used to ensure that each person only votes once. Emails provided will not be shared, and you will not be contacted following the completion of this survey by Connect Oshawa. Personal information on this survey is collected pursuant to Section 11 of the Municipal Act, 2001. Questions about this collection should be directed to the City’s Freedom of Information Coordinator at 50 Centre Street South, Oshawa, Ontario, L1H 3Z7, by phone at 905-436-3311 or by emailing Clerks.

    Mural A


    Mural B

    Mural C


    Not quite ready to vote? You can see the designs in greater detail in our Photo Gallery.

    Complete Form